Dr. Patrick ROSSIGNOL
Médecin délégué du CIC
Born 15 April 1969, French
Centre d'Investigation Clinique Pierre Drouin -INSERM CHU de Nancy
Institut lorrain du coeur et des vaisseaux Louis Mathieu, 4, rue du Morvan.
54500 Vandoeuvre-Lès-Nancy. France
Tel +33 (0)3 83 15 73 20 Cell + 33621673189 Fax +33(0)3 83 15 73 24
Born 1969, married, 3 children, Patrick Rossignol, MD, PhD, is a Nephrologist and Vascular medicine specialist, Professor of Therapeutics at the University of Lorraine, France. Since 2007, he has a position of deputy Director in Nancy University Hospital Inserm Clinical Investigation Center, which is headed by Professor Faiez Zannad, researcher in Inserm UMR_S1116, and is consultant in the University Hospital Heart Failure and Hypertension Unit (ESH excellence Centre) as well as in a hemodialysis clinics within a Disease Management program. He is mainly involved in clinical research, especially concerning circulating biomarkers, in the settings of heart failure, hypertension, hemodialysis and vascular diseases. He is also involved in translational basic research studies on the mechanisms of transition of hypertension and metabolic disorders to the cardiorenal syndrome. He has been participating in 4 EU FP programs: FP-6 (Ingenious HyperCare: from hypertension to Heart Failure) and FP-7 (MEDIA: Metabolic road to DIAstolic heart Failure), EU FP7 HOMAGE (Heart failure OMics in AGEing), FIBRO-TARGETS the 2 latter coordinated by F. Zannad (CIC Nancy, France) (2013-2018) and is an EURECA-m (cardiorenal working group of ERA-EDTA) member since its creation in 2009 and got elected as board member for 6 years in 2013. He is the PI of the largest academic CV outcome RCT in hemodialysis, led in close collaboration with F-CRIN (ALCHEMIST) and steering committee member of 4 international randomized clinical trials, including one led by EURECA-m. Since 2014, he is coordinating a French network of excellence endorsed by F-CRIN (French Clinical research Infrastructure Network, the French affiliate of ECRIN/ERIC: Cardiovascular and Renal Clinical Trialists (INI-CRCT). He is also scientific committee member of an epidemiological cohort of acute heart failure (>2500 pts recruited, French PHRC EPICAL2, PR in charge of the biobanking and of biomarker studies), and is organizing with Nancy CIC the 4th Visit of the Stanislas Cohort (4000 participants) (20-y) : >1000 pts recruited so far. He has published 85 peer review publications and is co-inventor of 5 biomarker international patents filed by Inserm Transfert in the cardiorenal syndrome setting, and co-funder of the SME CardioRenal diagnosticS.
Major field of interest:
Chronic Kidney Diseases, Heart failure, Hypertension, Aortic aneurysms, Aldosterone, Biomarkers, Clinical trials
Education (degrees, dates, universities)
• Master degree in Biology and Pathology of the epithelia, 1998, University of Paris VI « Pierre et Marie Curie »
• Medical Doctorate, specialty nephrology, 2000, University of Paris V « Necker-Enfants Malades »
• Complementary fellowship in Vascular medicine: 2004, University of Paris V « Necker- Enfants Malades »
• Ph. D. “Biology and pharmacology of hemostasis”: 2005, University of Paris VII “Denis Diderot”
- Research heading certification: 2009, Nancy University
- Hypertension specialist (board certification by the European Society of Hypertension): 2011
• 11/2000-31/10/2002: Ph. D. student, INSERM Unit 460, Dr Michel, Paris.
• 11/2002-31/10/2003: fellowship in vascular biology, Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium): Pr Lijnen, Pr Collen
• 11/2003-04/2006: Chief-Assistant, then Assistant Professor (05/2006-04-2007): Vascular Medicine and Hypertension department, Pr Fiessinger, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou (Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris), Paris, and Faculté de Médecine René Descartes-Paris V; associate researcher, INSERM 765 (formerly U 428), Pr Emmerich.
• 05/2007- : Assistant-Professor (Therapeutics), delegate physician of the Nancy University Hospital & INSERM Clinical Investigation Centre (Coordinating physician: Pr Zannad); associate researcher, INSERM 961, Dr Lacolley, and consultant in the Nancy European Society of Hypertension Hypertension Excellence centre
• 2008- : consultant, Association Lorraine de Traitement de l’Insuffisance rénale (in hemodialysis)
• 2010- : Professor of therapeutics
• Pathophysiological clinical studies experience. PI of the AMETHYST (Aneurysm, METalloproteinases and HYpertension STudy), RESAA ((Reflet Sanguin de l’Activité des Anévrysmes de l’Aorte abdominale chez l’homme), BIOMIC (Biomarkers of therapeutic modelization in heart failure NCT01655134), R2C2 (Role of the renin angiotensin aldosterone system in the mechanisms of transition to heart failure in abdominal obesity NCT01716819), EPICAL 2 biological collection, AAA endoprothèse studies. With Nancy CIC, responsible of the Stanislas Cohort (4000 participants) 4th visit (20-y) organization > 1000 pts recruited so far. NCT 01391442
Network research activities within EU FP: EU FP6: Ingenious Hypercare (Integrating Genomics, Clinical Research and Care in Hypertension) coordinated by A. Zanchetti (Milan) (2007-2011); EU FP7 FAD (Fighting Aneurysmal Disease), coordinated by JB Michel (France) (2008-2012) ; EU FP7 MEDIA Diastolic heart failure in the metabolic syndrome, coordinated by W. Paulus (Nederland) (2009- ); EU FP7 HOMAGE (Heart failure OMics and AGEing), coordinated by F. Zannad (CIC Nancy, France)(2013-) ; EU FP7 FIBRO-TARGETS, coordinated by F. Zannad (CIC Nancy, France) (2013-). Since 2013: COST ADMIRE network coordinated by F. Jaisser (AlDosterone and MIneralocorticoid REceptor pathophysiology, clinical and therapeutic implications): he is the French representative of clinicians in the Managing Committee. Within two Leducq consortia on atherothrombosis respectively coordinated by J-B Michel (Paris) and P. Libby (Boston) ( “Leducq Transatlantic Network of Excellence on atherothrombosis research”), and by T. Bovill (Burlington) and F. Rosendal (Leiden) (« LINAT : Leducq International Network Against Thrombosis ») : 2004-2007.
Memberships: ERA-EDTA (2010), EURECA-m (2010; elected board member since 2013), European Society of Hypertension (2004)/ Société de Néphrologie (2005)/Société française d’Hypertension Artérielle (2002)/Société Francophone de Dialyse 2013
Reviewing : Journal of Hypertension (editorial board member), Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Journal of Human Hypertension, Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Advances in Therapy (editorial board member)
Organization of scientific meetings: CardioVascular Clinical Trialists (CVCT) Forum and Workshop, chaired by F. Zannad and B. Pitt www.globalcvctforum.com : I am organizing Cardio-Renal sessions since 2009 (co-course director with G. Bakris, US)
1. Ortiz A, Covic A, Fliser D, Fouque D, Goldsmith D, Kanbay M, Lindholm B, , Mallamaci F, Martinez-Castelao A, Massy Z, Rossignol P, Suleymanlar G, Vanholder R, Wiecek A, Zoccali, London GM on behalf of ERA-EDTA EURECAm WG. Epidemiology, contributors and clinical trials targeting the unacceptably high mortality rates of chronic kidney failure (glomerular filtration rate <15 ml/min/1.72m2). The Lancet 2014: in press (review)
2. Pitt B, Rossignol P. Mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists in patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD) on chronic hemodialysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 ; 63 (6): 537-8 (editorial).
3. Rossignol P, Dobre D, McMurray JJV., Swedberg K, Krum H, van Veldhuisen Dirk J, Shi H, Messig M, Vincent J, Girerd N, Bakris G, Pitt B, and Zannad F
Incidence, determinants, and prognostic significance of hyperkalemia and worsening renal function in patients with heart failure receiving the mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist eplerenone or placebo additional to optimal medical therapy. Results from the Eplerenone in Mild Patients Hospitalization and Survival Study in Heart Failure (EMPHASIS-HF). Circ Heart Fail. 2014 ;7:51-8.
4. Eschalier R, Rossignol P, Kearney-Schwartz A, Adamopoulos C, Karatzidou K, Fay R, Mandry D, Marie PY, Zannad F. Features of Cardiac Remodeling, Associated With Blood Pressure and Fibrosis Biomarkers, Are Frequent in Subjects With Abdominal Obesity. Hypertension. 2014 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Rossignol P, Dobre D, Gregory D, Massaro J, Kiernan M, Konstam MA, Zannad F. Incident Hyperkalemia may be An Independent Therapeutic Target In Low Ejection Fraction Heart Failure Patients. Insights From The HEAAL Study. Int J Cardiol 2014 In press
6. Regnault V, Lagrange J, Pizard A, Safar M, Fay R, Pitt B, Challande P, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Lacolley P. Opposite predictive value of pulse pressure and aortic pulse wave velocity on heart failure with reduced ventricular ejection fraction. Insights from an EPHESUS (Eplerenone Post-Acute Myocardial Infarction Heart Failure Efficacy and Survival Study) substudy. Hypertension. 2014 ;63:105-11.
7. Boivin J.M., Boutte E, Fay R, Rossignol P, Zannad F Home Blood Pressure Monitoring: A Few minutes of Rest Before Measurement May Not Be Appropriate. American Journal of Hypertension 2014; doi: 10.1093/ajh/hpu00
8. Cheng JM, Akkerhuis M, Meilhac O, Oemrawsingh RM, Garcia-Garcia HM, van Geuns RJ, Piquer D, Merle D, du Paty E, Galéa P, Jaisser F, Rossignol P, Serruys PW, Boersma E, Fareh J, Kardys I. Circulating Osteoglycin and NGAL/MMP9 Complex Concentrations Predict 1-Year Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events After Coronary Angiography. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014 Mar 20. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Mentz R.J, Kjeldsen K, Rossi G.P, Voors A.A, Cleland J.G.F, Anker S.D, Gheorghiade M, Fiuzat M, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Pitt B; Christopher O’Connor C, Felker G.M. Decongestion in Acute Heart Failure Eur J Heart Fail. 2014, In press (review)
10. Eschalier R, Fertin M, Fay R, Bauters C, Zannad F, Pinet, Rossignol P. Extracellular matrix turnover biomarkers predict long term left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction (insights from the REVE-2 study). Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6:1199-205.
11. Martínez-Martínez E, Miana M, Jurado-López R, Rousseau E, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Cachofeiro V, López-Andrés N, A role for soluble ST-2 in vascular remodeling associated with obesity in rats. Plos One 2013, PLoS One. 2013; 8:e79176.
12. Eschalier R, McMurray J.J.V , Swedberg K, van Veldhuisen D.J., Krum H, Pocock S.J., Shi H, Vincent J, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Pitt B. Safety and efficacy of eplerenone in patients at high-risk for hyperkalemia and/or worsening renal function: Analyses of EMPHASIS-HF study subgroups. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62:1585-93.
13. Vardeny O, Cavallari LH, Claggett B, Desai AS, Anand I, Rossignol P, Zannad F, Pitt B, Solomon SD. Race Influences the Safety and Efficacy of Spironolactone in Severe Heart Failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2013 Aug 12. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Delbosc S, Diallo D, Dejouvencel T, Lamiral Z, Louedec L, Martin-Ventura JL, Rossignol P, Leseche G, Michel JB, Meilhac O. Impaired high-density lipoprotein anti-oxidant capacity in human abdominal aortic aneurysm. Cardiovasc Res. 2013 Sep 7. [Epub ahead of print]
15. Rossignol P, Dorval M, Fay R, Fort Ros J, Loughraieb N, Moureau F, Laville M. Rationale and design of the HepZero study: a prospective multicenter, international, open, randomized, controlled clinical study with parallel groups comparing heparin-free dialysis with heparin-coated dialysis membrane (Evodial(R)) versus standard of care. Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials Jun 1;14:163.
16. Damman K, Masson S, Hillege H.L., MD, Voors A, van Veldhuisen D.J., Rossignol P, Proietti G, Barbuzzi S, Nicolosi G.L., Tavazz L, Maggioni A.P., Latini R. Tubular Damage and Worsening Renal Function in Chronic Heart Failure. JACC: Heart Failure. 10/2013; 1(5):417–424
17. Dobre D, Zannad F, Keteyian S. J., Stevens S, Rossignol P, Kitzman D, Joel Landzberg J, Howlett, J, Kraus, W.E, Ellis S. Association between Resting Heart Rate, Chronotropic index and Long-term Outcomes in Patients with Heart Failure Receiving Beta-blocker Therapy Data from the HF-ACTION Trial Eur Heart J 2013;34:2271-80.
18. López-Andrés N, Calvier L, Labat C, Fay R, Díez J, Benetos A, Zannad F, Lacolley P, Rossignol P. Absence of cardiotrophin-1 is associated with age-dependant arterial stiffness and increased longevity in mice. Hypertension 2013; 61:120-9
19. Calvier L, Miana M, Reboul P, Cachofeiro V, Martinez- Martinez E, de Boer R, Poirier F, Lacolley P, Zannad F, Rossignol P, López-Andrés N. Galectin-3 mediates aldosterone-induced vascular fibrosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2013; 33:67-75
20. Rossignol P, Hosseini K, Tropeano AI, Fay R, Tsatsaris A, Guillemin F, Mounier-Vehier C. Target organ damage assessment in French hypertensive patients without established cardiovascular or renal disease: results of the PREVENT-A study. J Hypertens 2013 ; 31:177-85
21. Rossignol P, Kessler M, Zannad F. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability and risk for progression of cardiovascular and renal disease Cur Opinion Nephrol Hypertens 2013; 22:59-64 (review).
22. Rossignol P, F. Zannad. Loop diuretics and ultrafiltration in heart failure. Expert Opinion Pharmacol 2013 (review);14:1641-8 .